One frequently asked question about finding a mate online is, what the best dating site? There various ways of zeroing in on the best dating site for you. Notice the words “for you”. What’s good for someone else, even your closest friend or twin sibling may not necessarily be good for you.
First and foremost, finding a mate online requires that you know what you want. This might sound obvious, but there are many who don’t know what they want beyond “a date”, “a girlfriend/boyfriend”, “a partner” and the like.
To find out what you really want, try filling in the blank after the phrase “I am looking for _”. Among the things that would go into that blank include:
1. A fun partner: This can be short term or long term, but nothing serious. Marriage is out of the question (though things can and do change).
2. Dating only: This too can be short term or long term and open-ended. This type of relationship could get serious down the road. Most traditional dating relationships fall in the category.
3. Marriage: Yes, you can find a mate online to tie the knot with. Be specific on whether you want children or not, and whether you are willing to marry someone with children.
4. Adult adventures: Besides erotic pursuits, fetish and alternative lifestyle interests fall in this category. The good thing about online dating is that you can get just about anything you want, and lots of people ready to “play”. Seeking a mate with whom to explore your wildest fantasies or fetishes? You will find good company online.
5. Niche interests: Like big women? Love dogs? Seeking a fitness partner? Want someone in the military? Or even a roommate? Virtually all interests and passions are represented online, from mild to wild.
Finding the Best Dating Site for You
You have probably discovered that there are thousands of dating sites online. Making the right choice is often not easy. It is worth repeating that the way to find the best dating site for you is to narrow down to the ones that best fit your needs.
Having decided the type of relationship you want, here are 6 basic categories of dating sites to choose from:
1. General dating sites: These are profiled-based. You search and get found through personal profiles posted on the site. They usually (especially the popular ones) have huge databases of singles. You may to be very specific about what you want to avoid having to go through endless profiles. Those seeking casual dates and those who like to get to know someone before committing to a serious relationship are better served here.
2. Matchmaking sites: These are for people looking to find a mate online for a serious, long-term relationship or marriage right from the start. They are personality and compatibility based. Matchmaking sites do the matching for you, but some also allow you to also do your own searches. Expect to answer a comprehensive questionnaire, in multiple-choice and essay questions.
3. Speed dating sites: These sites organize online or real-life events that let you meet several potential mates within a short period of time. This can be done online or a live speed dating event, and sometimes a bit of both.
4. Religion/ethnic based: These are categorized together as there is quite a bit of overlapping. Christian, Muslim, Jewish, LDS, Catholic, Buddhist, Asian… you name it; if you’re seeking a mate of a certain faith or ethnicity, you will find good company online.
5. Niche dating sites: These are based on very particular and narrow interests or passions. Examples include; dog lovers, fitness lovers, big beautiful women (BBW), big handsome men (BHM) and more.
6. Adult, fetish and alternative: These cater to adult interests. Adult means just that: anything goes. Fetish and alternative sites cater to those who want to venture beyond just the “adult” and into things like spanking, S&M, BDSM, and the like.